Sunday, November 30, 2008

The whole world is a foreign country

This is a very interesting quote. I feel as if I can feel comfortable in a room full of people that I seemingly don't fit in with. I try very hard not to judge others on anything other than their personality. BUT, everyone knows I take pride in my Texan heritage, or even being from the 'South' even though it isn't I still claim to be. Geography is important. Everyone has a home, even if it changes with wherever you are. I have to starkly disagree with Todorov. It is a horrible to lack a national identity. It's something you will have in common with everyone in the place you claim. The perfect man is one who has a home that he loves, even if it changes every single time he's somewhere new. I know nationalism is seen as very troublesome in our post-WWII society, but exhibiting a little bit is important. It's about a comradery over something perceivably assinine. I'll still feel comfortable in a room of people who assert they find the entire world a foreign country, but I'll feel warmer inside knowing in two I'll be surronded by people who find 'you guys' a bizarre alternative to 'yall' and who can participate in a conversation about Texas folk with me. (And know that folk is pronounced like 'foak' not 'fullkuh')

No comments: