Monday, November 17, 2008

Reflection Krista Tippett

I was unaware that Thomas Jefferson was giving speeches in the 20th century, so this lecture was especially interesting. Really though, all kidding aside, Tippett gave some interesting insight. Initially, I hated the Q&A session. I thought it was a waste of my time and I didn't benefit from hearing her opinions that were just recitations of her book. Upon reflecting the seminar after the fact, I realized that she was entitled to her view, her opinion. My judging it as any less valid or 'correct' as my own was ridiculous. What I initially thought of her as avoiding the question, was probably simply her trying not to take a side. We all have several identities we assign ourselves, and politically/religously they can conflict. It should be preceived weak to not pick a bias, because it could risk us giving up one identity for another. The medley of identities is what makes the individual unique. I'm ashamed for my initial reactions, but feel I have re-opened my mind and am thankful for the common event to bring me out of the rut I was in. Plus, this common event ruled ten times more than the first one. Ohhh the awkward play fair.

No comments: