Sunday, November 9, 2008

take you to the candy shop

I found our prosperity exercise to be a success! Yay! Although there were many aspects of the exercise that were inaccurate and don’t directly match up with economy out in the “real world”, I think that it still got the point across. It was fun being in charge… well, in charge as much as the other domineering and suppressing group mates of mine allowed me to be (cough cough, Ben, cough cough ). However, even that imbalance of power can relate to how the economy works; there will always be that head honcho that is calling the shots and that delegates responsibility and money how he sees fit… and even if it’s not fair or “right”, there is little that the little people beneath him can do about it. Similarly, I found it interesting that when our banker, Michael, did not give the right amount of candy back in return for a fixed amount of chips, no one really made much of a fuss. I would have expected there to be a riot! But, instead, they just accepted that there were “insufficient supplies,” and moved on, even though they did not receive their money’s worth. I found it interesting how there were so many different motives and tactics to achieve all the individual and unique goals. It really emphasized how intricate and varying the economy is – everyone is after something different. Less people cared about the final prize of the large candy bar than I initially thought. Rather, most of the class focused on the immediate gratification of trading in their chips for the candy of their choice. I guess that Dustin and Adam can boast that they possess the most knowledge about the benefits of making investments to achieve a greater end result. I’m glad that the consensus is that everyone enjoyed the activity! I just hope that in the future exercises the other groups will bring in more candy to repay us, because we got jipped!

1 comment:

Seamus McGregor said...

No doubt, the exercise was a lot of fun. As Dustin alluded to in his blog post, sometimes investment and dealing in a dishonest manner can yield the greatest reward, and I was a little surprised that few people treated the activity as a competition. However, I'm glad that everyone enjoyed the activity and the instant gratification of trading in their chips as a group, made for an enjoyable class!