Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ranking What's Important

Well after reading others’ posts on the Proposition 8 protest I wish I had gone, it sounds like it would have been much more fun and interesting than working on my research paper. I really liked what we read about the Copenhagen Consensus for Friday. It paired efficiency with humanitarian concerns in what, at least without further research, seemed like a very good compromise. As much as we would like to be supreme multi-taskers in shaping up the world, the truth is that multitasking is not the best route. As Ziggy pointed out we prioritize our own tasks and responsibilities and it makes sense to do so on a larger scale. Hopefully our in-class exercise drove home this point.

I thought our common event with Christa Tippet was interesting and I was sorry to find that others didn’t seem to feel her commentary very thought-provoking. Civil discussion across religions is not a new idea, but at the same time I do think it is one that should be revisited because it is important.
Religion is a huge influence around the world and lack of communication between religious followers and the non-religious is damaging to humanity as a whole. For this reason I am looking forward to the dinner and discussion happening this Wednesday from 6-8 (looking forward to cooking for you guys). Hope everyone can make it and we can have a peaceful conversation that respects everyone’s beliefs and broadens everyone’s understanding.

2 comments:

Ziggy said...

i was, also, thoroughly looking forward to this wednesday night because of the guaranteed heated and provoking discussion that will take place and because, um, your cooking for us!??? YAYYY. But then i realized that i have class from 5:30-7 so i will not be able to participate =( save me some food please?
anyway. I actually did enjoy Mrs. Tippets question answer session. However, I do feel that it became a bit repetitive, which was not necessarily her own fault as much as it was our own (the students) fault for asking her to answer questions that were very similar in direction.

Seamus McGregor said...

I too enjoyed listening to Mrs. Tippit. What I wish had been discussed in greater detail is religious trends in the world. For example, regarding Christianity, why is the US getting more religious as western Europe is secularizing? Both are first world, yet there are clearly different ways of thinking at work. What are the sources of conflict and what has been proven effective in resolving this conflict in the past?