Friday, December 5, 2008

Final post

Today was our final world politics class. My group was tasked to defend the economic development policy of Venezuela, which was difficult to do, considering Venezuelan government thrives off irrational economic policies. Overall, although difficult, I feel my group defended Venezuela’s interests against a group of hostile interests pretty well.
But never mind today's class, I’ve been very pleased with the University College World Politics program as a whole. I feel quite blessed to be able to discuss and debate people with different points of view from all over the United States. I have also enjoyed being able to continue these discussions outside of class back on Leonard 7. I feel that we have read a wide array of literature and have covered many theories that will serve as a foundation for later SIS courses. My favorite book was How Soccer Explains the World, and I enjoyed these alternative means of approaching world politics as opposed to a simple history of some historical event. I appreciated Snow Crash for similar reasons, and I plan to continue to looking for books that explain world politics through abstract means after class ends.
This class gave me the opportunity to think critically and develop opinions regarding relations between states and pressing international issues. While I still am uncertain which area of the world I plan to concentrate my studies in, I now have a framework to apply to any area of international relations I intend to further my studies. I’d like to thank Professor Jackson and Jacquelyn for an excellent class that has been very informative as well as a lot of fun.
To my classmates, I enjoyed talking with you all about international events and I look forward to our next semester together.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I agree with you in that I think that "How Soccer Explains the World" was probably my favorite text that we have read. Have you read "Fever Pitch" by Nick Hornby? Its a really good book on a similar topic...less world politicy, but I bet there is a lot of interesting stuff about soccer politics as well (I can't remember anymore). I completely dissagree as far as Snow Crash goes (see my final blog), but I'm glad that you enjoyed it.